[mythtv-users] MythArchive DVD menus freeze

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:51:24 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at guardiani.us> wrote:

> Karl Newman wrote:
> > I'm having a strange problem with the DVDs created by MythArchive.
> > When I play a DVD created by MythArchive in a standalone DVD player or
> > using WinDVD, selecting an item on a menu seems to freeze the player.
> > I can usually get it to go to the destination by clicking pause and
> > then play (sometimes repeatedly). This happens whether the destination
> > is a video or another menu.
>
> Hi Karl,
>
> I'm having the same problem. (and have been since 0.18.1)
>

> > I've tried nearly all the themes and both 4:3 and 16:9 formats to try
> > to isolate this bug, but they all do it. The only success I've had is
> > with the autoplay theme, but obviously that has no menus.
> >
> > I had this same problem using the original mythburn scripts as well,
> > so I have to believe it's something in my toolchain. I think the most
> > likely culprit is dvdauthor. I've searched up and down the mailing
> > lists, dvdauthor bug reports, general google searches, etc. and I've
> > seen only one other person that seemed to have a sort-of similar
> > problem, but no resolution.
>
> Me too. When I was using 0.18.1 and mythburn everything worked great.
> But after 0.19 came out I started having this problem, and now since the
> upgrade to 0.20 it persists.
> Did you ever find a solution?
>
> --
> Jesse Guardiani
> Programmer/Sys Admin
> jesse at guardiani.us
>
> No, I'm still having the problem. In my searches the person that had the
other problem traced it down to a problem with a non-standard graphics file
on the menu (even though dvdauthor is supposed to convert all graphics to
standard format). I think it was a png he was having problems with.

That got me thinking I realized I hadn't tried the "Compact" theme yet
(which doesn't have any png-format recording preview images), so I recently
tried to make a "Compact" theme DVD. Anyway, the dvdauthor step failed for
some reason, so I disabled FIFOs and manually ran the mythburn.py script up
to that point (it failed again), then just issued the dvdauthor command
myself and it completed successfully (I don't know what the problem is
running it from the mythburn.py script). I created and tested the iso with
xine but haven't yet burned it to disc to check it on an external player
(I've been traveling for work).

I see that Gentoo has a new version of mythtv and mytharchive posted, so
I'll try to give them a whirl this weekend and see if it fixes anything. I
also noticed that the latest released dvdauthor is over a year and a half
old. I have a hard time believing there's no bugs in that version, so I
think it's time for a new release.

Can you post your system details so we can see if there are any common
points? Are you also using Gentoo on AMD64?

Thanks,

Karl Newman