[mythtv-users] Serial control of RCA DirecTV box -- should I bother?

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:57:24 UTC 2006

On 11/17/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> We'll all be happy to hear the answer once you find out. :) Since you've
> got a standard serial port, it will be about a $4 investment to find out.
> Probably just need a null modem cable.

Ahhh -- It's a noob's life for me. If I did  try and it failed, then it
would be impossible to tell the difference between a compatibility issue and
an operator error.

But for kicks -- let's say I did make a serial to serial cable and connected
the serial port on the RCA to the PC's serial port -- then what? I have no
ideal how to determine if there is life on the port -- "statserial" perhaps?

Do you think the script for the Rj 11 would work for the 9 pin connection?

Preston