[mythtv-users] Totally OT - but need help wit RAID5 array

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Nov 17 20:44:59 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:
>> If it's an ext3 drive then you'll have to force fsck to work, otherwise
>> it'll just check whether the drive has a "clean shutdown" flag or not.
>> Try doing:
>>         fsck -f /dev/md0
>>
>> At least you're getting somewhere now :)
>>

> I hope I didn't mess it up by hot adding /dev/hdd to the array. I will
> run fsck -f /dev/md0 when the hot add completes.

Should be OK.  I don't think you even need to wait for the array to
finish adding /dev/hdd, although it'll be faster if you do.  Rebuilding
the array to add a replacement drive should happen in the background.
DO unmount the filesystem before running fsck -f, though.  And be
prepared to answer a lot of questions about the errors it finds, unless
you add the -y flag to say "yes" to everything.