[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Nov 17 22:43:22 UTC 2006

On Nov 17, 2006, at 3:33 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Steve Hodge wrote:
>> I think this is only the usage pattern for people who are just
>> starting to use systems with integrated EPGs like MythTV and Tivo.
>> After a matter of weeks or months I expect most users would watch
>> very
>> little live and just record everything for latter viewing. That's
>> certainly been my experience.
>
> Mine, too.  It's pretty rare for me to watch live TV anymore.  When I
> do, I usually bypass Myth and use my VCR's tuner, so I can let Myth
> carry on recording stuff I've scheduled.

I think anybody who has been using Myth for a while will agree that
LiveTV is not used much.

But old habits can be hard to break for new users, and they have to
get used to changing from the sequential nature of programming to an
essentially on-demand system.

One problem I have now is that after I have told the system to record
something I think of it as "available" to me, even when it hasn't
been broadcast yet.

But for the few times when Live TV is wanted, like perhaps some
sporting events and truly significant breaking news stories, the
ability to pause is a nice advantage over a live tuner, as is the
ability to decide to record something after you have started watching
it.

And I have got to the point where I find commercial really irksome.
Everytime I see that "Skipped xx:xx" message on-screen I realize I
have got a small part of my life back from the advertisers who seek
to take it away from me.

So having enough tuners to be able to record and watch LiveTV is a
must IMHO.