[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 23:07:17 UTC 2006

Last time I used 'Live TV' (and the first for over a year) was on
election night -- I only have one cable box so this was the only way
without rewiring that I could flip back and forth between MSNBC, CNN,
C-SPAN, etc.

There is the lag to deal with (about 3 seconds on my setup), but to be
honest it really didn't bother me all that much, mostly since I was
using the OSD for browsing and only bouncing between four or five
channels.

The usage pattern was fairly straightforward -- watch MSNBC until it
goes to commercial and/or gets boring, flip to CNN until it goes to
commercial and/or gets boring, flip to Comedy (although I was sorely
disappointed in the Stewart/Colbert Election Night show), lather,
rinse, repeat.

My point is that this is about the only scenario (other than, say, a
breaking news story) where Live TV makes any sense at all instead of
recording from the schedule and watching the recording. You know when
the football game starts and what channel it's on, as does Myth. Why
start it 'live' and worry about pausing?