[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 18 04:08:51 UTC 2006

>> >This delay is due to MythTV buffering the recording.  If it didn't do
>> >this, you wouldn't be able to rewind your programming.
>>
>> No, it's not, and yes, it could.
>
>Uh, yeah it is.  You know, if you don't want to record your
>programming, you could set up XAWTV as a menu item.

I want to record my programs (or at least buffer my live TV), AND have
channel changes be fast. Impossible? No. Tivo does it.

>> >Please search the mailing list for more information; this has been
>> >discussed ad infinitum.
>>
>> IIRC, last time the answer from "old timers" was pretty much "if it
>> bothers you that much, fix it yourself"
>
>Actually, the mailing list history explains why there is a buffer.

Sure, but just because there is a buffer doesn't mean going to live TV
or changing the channel HAS to be slow. If that was the only reason,
then that would imply that the buffer contains 5 (or in my case more
like 10) seconds worth of video. There is no reason for it to buffer
that much video, and in fact it doesn't, the buffer is not that big.
There is some other reason for live TV being this slow, but nobody's
gotten around to doing anything about it. Presumably because the mythtv
developers don't use the live TV function themselves, and so it's not
an issue for them.