[mythtv-users] Is FireWire a two-way connection?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Nov 18 06:45:10 UTC 2006

John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> says:
> For me, the above means that my channel changes are now 100% reliable,
> instead of 97%.
>
> Only gotcha, is it can take my SA3250HD box up to 5 full seconds to
> change the channel.

John, I'd love to see your channel-changing script if it'll also raise
my channel-changing success with my two 6200s to 100% from 97%. The
extra necessary time isn't ideal, of course, but since I never use
Live TV (And don't think anyone who gets used to using a digital video
recorder should!), it's a price I'm willing to pay.

On this note, a question to Jim and to others who know FireWire better
than I do: Is the FireWire connection to cable box a two-way
connection? If so, is the channel the box is currently set to
available as data? If so, could channel-changing code (whether in
mythbackend, 6200ch, or sa3250ch) read the channel after a change
attempt and repeat if not correct? I suppose this is all blatantly
obvious and would've been done long ago if feasible, but still had to
ask.