[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 08:44:24 UTC 2006

On 11/18/06, Viitasaari <public at viitasaari.ca> wrote:

> However, it still
> does not take away from the fact that there are a lot of channel surfers
> out there who like to pause and play live TV.

Our point is that only new users channel surf. Experienced users have so
much stuff recorded waiting to watch that they never feel the need to look
for something on right now to watch. I've got something like 50 hours of TV
waiting to be watched so why would I waste my time surfing?

I would think that it goes against the rules of systems analysis to not
> acknowledge this when developing a PVR.

You have realise that a system like MythTV is not a better VCR, it's a
completely new thing with a completely different usage model. It's a
paradigm shift. Supporting obsolete usage models is nice, but it's not the
focus. If someone were to write faster channel change code and it didn't
hurt existing functionality it would be accepted (providing it fullfills the
usual requirements).

Steve