[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Sat Nov 18 10:30:23 UTC 2006

Marco Nelissen wrote:

>>If you're waiting 15 seconds for a channel change I would guess you
>>have a problem outside of Myth.
>>

>Changing channels does not take 15 seconds. 15 (17) seconds is my
>worst case for going from the main menu to live TV. Changing the
>channel after that is on the order of 6-7 seconds, still much
>slower than mplayer (on the same machine) or tivo (on a different
>machine, of course ;)

Reading this threat i did some testing:
- channel changing between PVR500 source: 1-2 seconds normally, rarely more
- channel changing between SAT source: up to 8 seconds.
On SAT i strongly suspect that the combination of MythTV tuner code and
kernel DVB-S drivers is not optimal. On a DVB-S SAT i am getting channel
change times of about 2 seconds.

Regards,

Rudy