[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 19:58:06 UTC 2006

> > Honestly, if you've experienced 17 seconds to start up live TV, that
> > sounds like an issue outside of the MythTV world.
On my system starting live tv usually takes about 2 seconds, changing
channels is about a 2 second process.  Directv D11-100 stb connected
to svideo of PVR 500, controlled by usb serial adapter.

I do not have an explanation for the this next oddity, if I surf with
mythtv and my stream zap remote it is 2-3 second average channel
change.  However, if I use the osd of the stb the system slows down to
about a 8 second delay on any action such as scrolling channels.

> Sure, it would be nice if MythTV was able to stream the live TV a little
> faster and not buffer it quite as much, but this is probably a difficult
> optimization considering the variety in hardware that must be supported,
> and the split frontend/backend configuration that it supports.  With a
> Tivo they could probably just put a splitter on the decoder output and
> run it directly to the video out when watching live TV.  Unless we all
> buy the same tuner cards and start soldering parts onto them we'll
> probably never get to that point.
I seem to recall a setting in (I am not sure about front or back end)
configuration that has to do with the ring buffer.  The setup help tip
indicates that if the size of the ring buffer is set to high it will
adversely affect the operation of live tv.

> I think the important thing is to be constructive here - the myth devs
> have created a GREAT product but they aren't being paid and obviously
> they're going to focus more on the features that THEY use.  I'm sure
> they're all to happy to improve things like live TV, but try to come
> with suggestions and not just gripes.  Or at least make the gripes sound
> nice...  :)

You are correct about it being a great piece of software.

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org