[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 18 20:16:37 UTC 2006

>>> My PVR-350 and HD-5500 change channels at almost exactly the same
>>> speed. 2-3 seconds each.
>>
>> Well there goes *that* theory then... :(
>
>Maybe not. In both cases you are reading an mpeg stream, and lock-up
>time will be influenced by things like bitrate and waiting for an I-
>Frame to happen by etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lock-up" time, but channel-lock is achieved
fairly quickly with the cards I have (as demonstrated by using an app
other than mythtv to watch live TV), and the wait for I-frames is very
short too (as evidenced by using that other app to change channels).

>There are a lot of variables, some of which are within the control of
>the Myth user and some are not (we can control the mpeg created by a
>PVR card to some extent, but are at the mercy of the program supplier
>in the case of digital sources).
>
>The lockup time for the various STBs are a factor as well, my Myth
>system changes channels faster than my satellite receivers can do so.
>
>But in any case this thread is getting out of hand. If anybody truly
>thinks a TiVo is better,  the solution is obvious, but I wouldn't go
>back to one for any reason.

Sigh... Just because there is ONE THING tivo does better, we should
just go back to tivo instead of pointing out that mythtv has a
performance problem for some people? Why are people so damn defense
about mythtv?