[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Sat Nov 18 21:28:33 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 20:32, Chris Ribe wrote:
> >>The fact is that Myth couldn't do what it does if it had instant
> >>channel changes,
>
> For the record, put me in the "if you don';t like it, fix it" camp,
> but this just isn't a true statement.  The OP 's complaint was based
> on the fact that his TiVo does do instant channel changes, and it also
> manages to let you rewind/pause/etc.
>
> If one were to make Myth behave more like TiVo in this regard, TiVo's
> workaround could probably be emulated.
>
> When you change channels on a TiVo, you go into "real time" mode where
> you are watching the stream directly from capture card.  You don't
> play out from the buffer until after you hit pause or rewind for the
> first time.  This way, that unavoidable 3 second pause takes place
> while you have the system paused anyway.

Is this fact or guess?

My tivo series 1 had a latency of approximately 800 ms iirc.

So, after the channels is changed (which takes time with the ir blaster) it
took that long for video to actually change.

Tivo uses a hardware codec and does not buffer up any data.

Myth fe seems to want to have a big chunk of video before it starts playing.
This helps when the be is busy and sometimes can not keep up.

It takes about 3 seconds for a recording to start playing. This is for the
same reason, Myth wants a good chunk of data before it starts playing.
This is with a remote fe.

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)
HAM DC2XT