[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 21:57:17 UTC 2006

On 11/19/06, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 10:57 -0800, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> > Except that on the very same hardware, I can use mplayer to go to live
> > TV in about 2 seconds. That puts the problem back in the mythtv-world
> > I would say.
>
> mplayer reads directly from the card, so it's displaying unbuffered
> input.
>
> MythTV, as a DVR, reads from the card, buffers it to disk, then plays
> from the stored file, which is how you get DVR functionality.

There's no real reason why the buffer should slow anything down though. The
system should only require a small amount of data in the buffer for accurate
playback - no more than a couple of a frames. I suspect the difference is
more likely due to the client/server architecture. mplayer doesn't have a
network layer in the middle of it's playback path.

Steve