[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Sun Nov 19 02:19:54 UTC 2006

Marco Nelissen wrote:
> Second, since the hardware is perfectly capable of doing fast channel
> changes (other apps do it with this same hardware), I very much doubt
> hardware is the problem.

When you say other apps can change channels quickly, I have seen you
mention mplayer and/or xawtv (may have been someone else mentioning
xawtv, I just read all 60 or so messages). Do those other apps record to
disk, then play the buffered file, or are they just streaming data from
the card? If the latter, then I say you are comparing apples to oranges.
Of course myth could change channels quickly, if it didn't buffer
anything to disk, it would only be limited by how long the tuner takes
to switch channels, which isn't very long. It's just not the way myth
works. Of course a Tivo can do it fast because it is a finely tuned
combination of custom hardware and software, that has likely had many
many man-hours (months?) of development and testing. I don't think it's
fair to compare mythtv to tivo either, for just that reason.

As you mentioned, there are many things involved in switching the
channel, a quarter second here, half second there. Until each one of
those 'things' is finely tuned to be as quick as it can, it won't get
any better. I don't think there is a 'magic bullet' that is going to
make myth all of a sudden start changing channels lightning quick.

I really don't care what happens, frankly, because I can't stand to
watch live tv (no timestretch, no commercial skip) so it doesn't affect
me at all. Just thought I'd stick my 2 cents in... :)

Tom