[mythtv-users] Is transcoding livetv really necessary?

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 02:36:34 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06, Viitasaari <public at viitasaari.ca> wrote:
> I am a newbie at this and was wondering if trans-coding livetv is really
> necessary.

No. If you have a few terabytes of disk, you might choose to never
transcode anything.

Alternatively, you can change your default recording bitrates to make
recording sizes smaller (or larger) without transcoding.

If you record your livetv at standard DVD resolutions (assuming you're
*NOT* recording HDTV), you can also write DVDs without needing to
transcode files until you want to squeeze more than about 2 hours of
recordings onto a dvd.

BUT... transcoding can be your friend - I record shows at a bitrate of
about 2gb/hour, transcode them in mythtv down to about 650mb/hour, and
using nuvexport, I can get them down to about 350mb/hour without
significantly noticeable quality loss.

-Ross