[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 19 02:37:10 UTC 2006

>Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> Second, since the hardware is perfectly capable of doing fast channel
>> changes (other apps do it with this same hardware), I very much doubt
>> hardware is the problem.
>>
>When you say other apps can change channels quickly, I have seen you
>mention mplayer and/or xawtv (may have been someone else mentioning
>xawtv, I just read all 60 or so messages). Do those other apps record to
>disk, then play the buffered file, or are they just streaming data from
>the card? If the latter, then I say you are comparing apples to oranges.

The other app I tried was mplayer (I may have tried xawtv once, I don't
recall). It does not buffer, so in a sense, yes it is apples and oranges,
however: the difference between an apple and an orange in this case SHOULD
only be a fraction of a second, since there is no need to buffer 2-3 seconds
worth of data before starting playback. In fact, it's been said by the main
dev himself that mythtv doesn't buffer this much, and the fact that at least
some people experience fast channel changes in mythtv points to this also.