[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Nov 19 14:16:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 18:37 -0800, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> only be a fraction of a second, since there is no need to buffer 2-3 seconds
> worth of data before starting playback. In fact, it's been said by the main
> dev himself that mythtv doesn't buffer this much, and the fact that at least
> some people experience fast channel changes in mythtv points to this also.

I just want to point out that I explained the slow channel changing
problem in the dev group last week. Read that message for a more
complete explanation, but the two main points are:
 1/ We buffer conservatively because for some reason ffmpeg gets
    stuck if we don't hand it a full frame, and I frames can be big.
 2/ The bitrate estimate we get from ffmpeg can be way off when the
    bitrate is very low compared to the expected bitrate at a particular
    resolution and framerate (low bitrate cable channels like The Golf
    Channel, The History Channel, Off-Track-Betting, Community Access,
    etc are often a problem).

Fix either of those problems and I will gladly apply the patch,
if you fix both you will greatly improve LiveTV.

-- Daniel