[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Backend install

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Mon Nov 20 07:35:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, November 20, 2006 01:24, Paul Kidwell wrote:
<SNIP>

> "Setting up a backend only machine will require that the computer you
> remotely administer it from has an X server installed so that the
> initial setup (which does require X) can be performed over a network."
>
> Now, I didn't think much of that. I just thought it was letting me
> know about an upcoming step.
>
> The install process went very smoothly. No difficulties at all. At one
> point the procedure has you install Xauth, no problem there, but I did
> notice another little note:
>
> "Later on, you will need to forward an X connection to a remote X
> server. If you have no idea how forwarding works, I'd recommend some
> light reading from the gentoo wiki."
>
> Xauth installed with no problems and I continued on my way. The
> installation of the backend files and mysql went smoothly, exactly as
> described.
>
> Then I came to:
>
> "Run the initial MythTV setup app.
>
> Note, this won't work on the local console, as it requires an X
> server. You will either need to install an X server on the local
> machine (not recommended as its a waste of space and resources), or
> remotely connect to this machine using ssh and X forwarding. If you
> have never forwarded an X application, I'd recommend you read the
> Gentoo Wiki X Forwarding Page."
>
> It was at this point that I sailed off the cliff and fell into the
> Abyss...
>
> I now realize that those previous little notes were actually encrypted
> messages that in clearcode actually read "ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO
> ENTER HERE"
>
> That may be a little harsh, but I didn't have another Linux machine
> handy. So I had to find an X server package to install on the Win-2K
> machine that I was working on. I didn't really want to pay for one, so
> I was looking for a freeware version and I wasn't having a lot of luck
> getting one to work. I found a couple of crippleware versions that
> were fully functional, for thirty minutes, then they'd shut themselves
> down.

<SNIP>

One of the reasons I also install X on my Ubuntu servers... I then tweak
the startup to *not* start it by default...

A quick '/etc/init.d/kdm start' will give me the GUI *should* I need it...
Diskspace is cheap, and no RAM/CPU is used when not started...

(A -nox version for the setup tools would be nice though... For the setup
you strictly speaking do not need a GUI, just for the frontend...)

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250