[mythtv-users] HD performance problems

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 07:39:22 UTC 2006

I have an Athlon 64 2400+, have been using it with a Hauppauge WinTV
card for a while, and just got a pchdtv HD-5500 card to see if I can
get some HD video.  Unfortunately due to the projector I'm using
currently the video has to be at 640x480 so I'm not getting the full
benefit of it until I get a better projector... I have kernel 2.6.18
and attempting to use the DVB drivers that come with it.  Installed an
antenna this afternoon, scanned the channels, receiving the signals
fine... but my system can't keep up.  There are a lot of dropped
frames (like I can see 4 or 5 frames in sequence every second or so,
then a pause, then more frames) and jerky audio.  I would think this
system should be fast enough.  I have an nvidia Geforce 5200 card with
nvidia drivers and enabled XvMC as described here

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

I switched to JFS on the partition that stores video files to get the
best possible filesystem performance.  hdparm -tT tells me I get 50
MB/sec transfer rates.  Tried various de-interlacing methods, and even
turning de-interlacing off altogether doesn't help.  Using Option
"NVAGP" "1".  'Use video as timebase' was off already.  Tried using
'Seperate video modes for GUI and TV playback', no difference.

I'm a little skeptical that /etc/X11/XvMCConfig is being read, since
there wasn't one installed already (it's a gentoo system BTW).

What else could I be missing?