[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:30:07 UTC 2006

> > > After a matter of weeks or months I expect most users would watch
> > > very little live and just record everything for latter viewing.
> > > That's certainly been my experience.
> >
> > It's odd to see all the folks here who don't watch any live TV... We've
> been using MythTV for a while (a year perhaps) and still watch live tv..
> Fact is there are very few shows we watch on TV anyway, we use live (not
> through the mythbox..just regular) as it's easier to bounce around the
> channels and see if there's anything interesting on (usually not).
>
>         For LiveTV, it makes much more sense to just have another STB
> and to bypass the PVR entirely. Prior to having DirectTV (which has

I still occasionally like to surf.

My dream would be a "super surfer" mode where your second card is used to
buffer the next channel in your surfing sequence.  Since most people are
"all up" or "all down" this would be farily straight forward to do I would
think.

Or maybe I just buy another dual tuenr card, so I can have four tuners and I
can go up/down and record something totally different while watching TV...

There was a patch to allow for recorded TV in PIP I think.  Why are TV and
recorded programs so different in the GUI?  Live tv you pick a channel to
watch, recorded you pick from a list...  Heck, throw in a "current DVD"
listing as well...