[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:37:24 UTC 2006

>         For LiveTV, it makes much more sense to just have another STB
> and to bypass the PVR entirely.

It does?  What if I want to use my PVR to, you know, do one of those
features that are so hyped about PVRs:  pause and rewind live TV.  Honestly,
this is one of the main reasons I love my Myth box so much.  Yeah, being
able to harvest stuff that's on during the day or in the middle of the night
is awesome, and I never miss a show anymore, and of course there's the
hotness that is commercial skipping, oh and... well, you get the point.  But
being able to pause Live TV is pretty great, too.  Now, if a telemarketer
calls, I no longer need to get off the phone as quickly as possible!  I
simply pause, and I can spend a little time harassing the poor bastard
before hanging up. ;)

So, no, I wouldn't call that wasting an input.  I'd call that using my
system the way it best suits me.

Incidentally, I'm in the "don't care" camp on this one.  I cut my teeth on
STBs that took 2-4 seconds to tune (which is where my Myth system stands),
and so I got trained to use an EPG.   Heck, these days, I find it far FAR
more annoying to find myself *without* an EPG... channel surfing is a
massive pain in the arse.  I never have any idea what's actually on, and 99%
of the time, all I end up doing is tuning into commercials... it's
incredibly inefficient.

Brett.