[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 20 16:20:00 UTC 2006

>Marco Nelissen wrote:
>> I don't think it's quite that straightforward on linux, unless you
>> completely disable swap (generally a bad idea). Linux tends to swap
>> out unused code and data and use the freed up RAM for disk-buffers, IIRC.
>> Right now it's showing 240MB of swap in use, but also 240MB of free RAM.
>
>Huh?  My file server which has been up for 56 days has 512 MB of RAM, it
>is showing 5.6 MB free RAM and is using 450 MB for disk cache, but is
>only using 140k of swap.  A MythTV Slave BE/FE box with an uptime of 3
>days has similar stats, 512 MB total, 5.4 MB free, 278 MB cache and 28k
>of swap.  If you are really swapping out that much I would suspect you
>had a memory-hungry application open at some point.

Normally the only things running on this machine are the backend, frontend,
and xine for DVD playback. The machine has been up for 2 weeks now though,
perhaps I did run something else in the last 2 weeks that I forgot about.
How did you got your numbers, BTW? I got mine from 'top'. Right now it
shows:
Mem:    508704k total,   462868k used,    45836k free,        0k buffers
Swap:   995988k total,   381616k used,   614372k free,   274192k cached
(the machine is idle now, but did record a few shows and ripped a DVD
last night)