[mythtv-users] The final word in the Live TV yay-nay debate

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Nov 20 18:08:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:04:00AM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> says:
> > I'm so sorry! If I had realized that the average user has almost 2
> > terabytes of recordings, I would never have suggested that live TV
> > is a much-used feature...
>
> Choice is what matters. The unparalleled selection of programs and
> channels North Americans take for granted means that, even if an
> American and a Scot or Finn each own the same amount of disk space,
> the American will likely fill his up a lot faster.

But, too, remember: some people are Archivers, and some aren't.

Just last night, for example, my sister and I dug through back episodes
on her box of Grey's Anatomy, to attempt to confirm an assertion, made
on Wikipedia, that Sara Ramirez' character's first name is actually
'Calliope', for which 'Callie' is short.

2x27, 43:42(/1:00:00); her and George walk down a hall.

That took 50 minutes, 6 eps, Fast Forward x10, and Zoom Mode to find a
shot that was clear enough to serve as confirmation.

But that's why Archivers *do*.

And that's why Frye's has 2TB boxes for $1000.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_