[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Nov 20 18:23:31 UTC 2006

Simon Allcorn wrote:
> So in theory we should
> never use sawp if we have any file cache available, however nothing is
> perfect and I had a problem on a box a while ago were it seemed that
> once file cache memory had been allocated it would not get
> de-allocated, which meant swap filling up and getting lots of OOMs,
> which was nice :)

There were some bugs in that area in the early 2.6.x kernels, when they
were playing with the virtual memory model.  This was complicated by the
kernel team's decision to move away from having designated 'stable' and
'unstable' kernel series, which meant a lot of people started using
2.6.x while it was still in a half-baked state.