[mythtv-users] HD performance problems

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Mon Nov 20 19:11:52 UTC 2006

On 20/11/06, Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Athlon 64 2400+, have been using it with a Hauppauge WinTV
> card for a while, and just got a pchdtv HD-5500 card to see if I can
> get some HD video.  Unfortunately due to the projector I'm using
> fine... but my system can't keep up.  There are a lot of dropped
> frames (like I can see 4 or 5 frames in sequence every second or so,
> then a pause, then more frames) and jerky audio.  I would think this

The simple rule for hi def is this: you really should use a dual core
processor to do hi def (I love my x2 3800).  Your 5200 should do fine
as long as you don't try 1920x1080.

X and MythTV both use a lot of CPU when decoding hi def, especially
with deinterlacing.  I had a 3500+ and it wouldn't cut it either -
once i switched to a 3800 x2, things worked perfectly.

Mark