[mythtv-users] HDTV Question

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 19:45:52 UTC 2006

I just got an HDHomerun so I hope to be grabbing a pretty high quality
digital stream soon (once I get my HDHomerun working with Myth, but that is
a different thread).

I grabbed an SD stream in VLC and it shows many of the issues with digital
TV that I don't like (artifacts around text, interlacing, etc).  I assume at
least the artifacts around the text are reduced for HD content (and in some
cases the interlacing if you get 720p?).  For this reason, I was thinking I
would record in HD for some shows even though I don't have an HD capable
TV.  The idea would be to try and achieve a very high quality SD recording
from the HD.  But I had a few questions:

1) I assume MythTV has no trouble downscaling the HDTV content?
2) Keeping the HD recordings seems like a lot of space...what are my options
for transcoding it?
3) Presumably this would best be done via a transcoding job (or is some
other framework within MythTV required)
4) Is any of this worth it?  Honestly, I thought some of SD streams looked
like crap so it seems like it would be worth it.

--
Mike