[mythtv-users] DVD playback problems: Invalid IFO

Sean Cier scier at PostHorizon.com
Mon Nov 20 23:25:10 UTC 2006

I've just put together a new Myth frontend -- FC6, 64-bit, with RPMs
from ATRPMS and a couple from FreshRPMs (there's no custom-compiled
anything).  It fails to play about half the DVDs I've thrown at the
internal player (the ones that do work seem 100% fine).  No big surprise
thus far, that could be due to any number of issues.  However, there are
two twists: first, this occurs with ISO images (from NFS shares or
locally, same result), ruling out hardware problems reading the DVDs,
and the second is that the *exact same* images work flawlessly on
another box running the same versions of Myth, libdvdread, libdvdcss,
and libdvdnav4 -- the major (possibly relevant) differences are just
that it's a 32-bit box running FC4.

Anybody seen anything similar -- or anyone have a similar setup that
*is* working?  thomas.baker[at]villanova.edu reporting something similar
in Feb 2006, also on a 64-bit machine, but there was no resolution in
that thread.

Symptoms: Myth returns to the menu after playing some disks, dies
completely with others (producing assertion failures).  Produces errors
to the tune of
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 3161022
libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 2 (VTS_02_0.IFO).

Other datapoints: the exact same results occur with Xine (meaning this
presumably isn't an actual Myth bug, making this question OT; sorry
about that), but mplayer seems to work just fine.  I've tried to install
a 32-bit version of Xine (again from RPMs) and related libs, which
produced the same error of some disks and died more abruptly on others
-- but I'm not certain I really had a true, working 32-bit version
rather than some Frankenstein mix.

RPMs installed:
libdvdcss-1.2.9-3.fc6.at
libdvdnav4-0.1.10-2.fc6.at