[mythtv-users] Enhancement request: 'D'elete pending recordings

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Nov 21 02:40:45 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> So, does that cancel the entire schedule or create a "Do not record"
> override for just the episode you're seeing?

The former is what I had in mind, but both could make sense depending
on the context.

Example #1: I use a Custom Record query to pull up a list of all HD
movies for the next two weeks, have pushed '2' to collapse the list
into alphabetic order, and am and am now methodically going through
the list marking with "Record one showing of this title" the movies I
want to watch.[1] With more than 300 recordings
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/237161#237161>)
and the system constantly expiring older programs to make space for
new ones, I can't always remember whether a particular movie I've
previously recorded and is airing again is still on the system. In
such circumstances I typically mark the movie to record by pushing the
Record button on the remote twice, then see if the listing gets
labeled as "Find One -- Currently Recorded." If yes, I go back in and
turn the recording off, but this requires Select-Down-Down-Edit
Options-Left-Left-Up-Up-Select.

It'd be nice to instead just push the Delete button on my remote
(already associated with "D") to undo that recording schedule
entirely, just as 0.20 added the ability to jump with "E" into the
Custom Record.

Example #2: In the above example, let's say that I decide to
examine all upcoming showings of a particular movie with the key I've
bound to UPCOMING. I see that the scheduler has decided to record the
movie at an airing 10 days out. For whatever reason, I decide that
airing won't do.

The Delete button, in this context, could make sense as a "Don't
Record" override, forcing the scheduler to select another airing.

Example #3: I view the list of Scheduled Recordings. I see
that a particular program will be recorded tomorrow at 7pm. I decide
that I don't want to see it. I push Delete and . . . Well, not sure
about this one. Should example #1 or #2 apply here?

My sense is #1, because #2 certainly make sense were I to push the
UPCOMING button on that listing. An "Are you Sure?" confirmation
before the delete occurs is perhaps or perhaps not desirable.[2]

Example #4: In the list of Scheduled Recordings, I push UPCOMING to
see all upcoming showings of a particular program. This is the same
thing as #2 and the same answer applies.

In conclusion, I'd *love* to see #1. #2/#4 and #3 aren't nearly as
compelling given that adding an override takes many fewer button
pushes than #1 currently does, but they'd be nice, too.

[1] Yes, I really do this. Did the same thing for four years with
TiVo, too.

[2] The ideal solution here would be no confirmation and, instead, some
kind of systemwide multistep-undo feature, but that's a much-more
ambitious project, I'd think.