[mythtv-users] Enabling XvMC

nik gibson nik.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 03:56:18 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've almost got a working HD config, my last hurdle is enabling XvMC.  I
have an Nvidia GeForce 6200 card and glxinfo output shows:

direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

I've read and tried everything.  I have a /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file which
contains the one line (with no spaces) libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
I've used every possible option in my xorg.conf and I've gone through the
libraries to verify they point to the proper Nvidia files.  What else can I
check to enable XvMC?  It's definitely not working at the moment, even on a
3Ghz P4 machine I get the occasional stutter when playing HD.

My xorg file is attached:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder3)  Wed Nov  1 19:47:17
PST 2006
# Xorg X server configuration for HDTV
# by Jarod Wilson

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of
the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
#       Load  "dri"
        Load  "v4l"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "blank time" "0"
        Option      "standby time" "0"
        Option      "suspend time" "0"
        Option      "off time" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Poneer"
        ModelName    "HDTV"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    31.5 - 37.9
        VertRefresh  59.9 - 60.1
        ModeLine     "1280x720" 74.2 1280 1720 1768 1984 720 725 730 750
+hsync +vsync
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Nvidia"
        BoardName   "GeForce FX 6200"
        VideoRam    65536
EndSection

Section "Screen"

    #Option         "RenderAccel" "1"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option      "RenderAccel" "On"
        Option      "NvAGP" "2"
        Option      "NoRenderExtension" "Off"
    #Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
        Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "On"
        #Option     "NoDDC"
        SubSection "Display"

##                Modes    "1280x720p" "1920x1080i"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1280x720"
        EndSubSection
EndSection