[mythtv-users] Popping sound on AC3 / DTS passthrough.

mythtv at longhome.co.uk mythtv at longhome.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 13:35:46 UTC 2006

Finally got hold of a motherboard with SPDIF out (Realtek AC'97), and I've
got the AC3 passthrough working. However, I get a strange popping (sound
like a digital signal) on the analogue out. Interestingly the same thing
happened on my old MB when I tried enabling AC3 passthrough. When watching
normal TV (ie. something without an AC3 / DTS track), there's no problem. I
get good sound through both the SPDIF and analogue out.

A way around it is to mute the TV, but thats a bit of a pain. I can also
mute the PCM in the mixer, but again, this currently has to be done
manually.

Is there anything I'm missing? I guess I could always write a script to
switch the mute between the SPDIF and the PCM, and program a remote button
to run that script. Can that be done from within myth? or will I have to
write a specific action to be able to do that?

Thanks

Martin