[mythtv-users] firewire with 3250

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:22:28 UTC 2006

I did a little bit of testing with this last night and had moderate,
but not complete success.  As far as i can tell, at the moment I have
no choice but to try to implement something like this on channel
change.  Why are you hesitant of doing this Jim?  I have not
experimented much with broadcast, but what i did seemed to be
consistent failures... and even if it worked that would not impact the
issue below would it?

I am running a single SA3250HD and using both the firewire out for the
available HD channels and the s-video out for some non-HD digital
channels.  Quite often when switching from one of the channels being
fed from s-video back to firewire the firewire stream is lost.  The
channel is changed correctly almost everytime, but the STB will not
enable streaming (as if the new channel is 5C)  In the past it seemed
the only way to resume the connection was to unplug and replug the
firewire cable from the cable box.  What i noticed last night was that
some but not all of my available HD channels would work as the first
HD channel when using the sure_change script.  For example....

301 - HBO non HD fed over s-video
1421 - ABC HD over firewire
1460 - TNT HD over firewire

Start on 301 -> Change to 1421 (Stream is lost)
Start on 301 -> Change to 1460 (Works)
Start on 301 -> Change to 1460 (Works) -> Change to 1421 (Works)

I have no idea what would be causing this behavior.  Any thoughts?  Or
things I can try?  My only other thought was to add into the channel
change script to change to 1460 automatically if the stream is not
successful, retest, and then if 1460 is working change back to the
intended channel.  Obviously this is not an ideal situation, but i
figure i can at least give it a try to determine if the behavior i was
seeing last night is actually consistent.