[mythtv-users] What's wrong with this picture?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 21 23:59:53 UTC 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Trevor Bradley wrote:

> Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:
>
> http://www.internetgenealogy.com/test.mpg (5MB)
>
> I used this exact same PVR-150 card, with the exact same co-axial
> cable in a
> different machine running Windows XP and SageTV, and never had
> flicker like
> I see here.  It’s not crippling, but it’s annoying… I want my Myth
> PVR-150
> recording to be as good as my old Sage box.
>
> I’m running Slackware11, KDE 3.5, ivtv 0.8.0, and MythTV 0.20a
>
> I know this is almost certainly an ivtv problem  (or possibly an
> interference problem in the new machine?), but seeing as how they
> seem more
> busy helping people who don’t have audio or video at all, I thought
> I might
> try posting here.
>
> *** Hmm.. now that I think about it… one of the other explanations
> I’ve
> heard about is interference on the PVR card itself...  This new
> system I’ve
> built is a RAID5 system, with 4 hard drives crunching away.  If it
> *is* an
> interference problem, any ideas on how to test it, or to fix it?
> Do I need
> to build a Faraday Cage around my PVR-150?  Or is it interference
> from the
> motherboard itself?
>
> Are there any ideas as to what this is, and what the potential
> causes might
> be?

Certainly looks like just noise in the recording. There seems to be a
somewhat regular longer-period "shot" as well as the random noise.

I'm assuming that if you take the same cable and connect it directly
to a TV set you do not see this ?? In other words it is not in the
delivery system itself ? As you say it looks like poor shielding
somewhere.

I had a somewhat similar problem with a PVR-150 long ago which I
solved by putting a few dabs of solder on the press-on lid on the
tuner module of the card (one per side).

If you can you could also try putting the card in a different slot.