[mythtv-users] Record >1 channel per multiplex?

Rene Bartsch ML at Bartschnet.de
Wed Nov 22 09:55:32 UTC 2006

> I don't believe that actually recording the individual streams would be a
> huge problem.  As various posters have pointed out, there are any number
> of pieces of software that will do this.  It seems to me that the issue is
> that Myth is not so much a piece of software as a complete system.  For
> example, it would be necessary to figure out how such a change would
> effect the conflict resolution code in the scheduler.

Very simply. The scheduler would not have to look for conflicts per device
but per transponder (identified by source type (DVB-C/S/T), frequency and
polarization (DVB-S)). If recordings match these parameters, the scheduler
would have to count them as one recording.

> It remains an attractive proposition,  but as another poster pointed out,
> extra cards are easy to fit.

No, they aren't!

Cons:

- At least 60 EUR per DVB-S card
- between 10 and 20 extra Watts per card (consider cooling, noise an costs
per year: 10 Watts * 24 hours * 365 days = 87 KWh per year and card)
- limited number of PCI-slots/IRQs

Usually four DVB cards is the limit of a PCI system.

Renne