[mythtv-users] HDTV suggestions - Sharp Aquos?

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 16:12:10 UTC 2006

> I am watching SD TV (from dvb-s and dvb-t) on a 32" Samsung LCD TV
> (LE32R31S - i think this model is not available anymore) via
> Myth/VGA/NVidia5200 in the screen's native 1360x768 resolution.
>
> The screen, IMHO, lacks tonal separation in light areas; actual models
> might give better results. DVB sometimes gives compression artifacts
> when there is a lot of movement, that depends also on the channel and
> available bandwith, and I have slightly jerky movement as I watch 50Hz
> TV, but on VGA I can only set a 60Hz refresh rate as long as I don't get
> a DVI-HDMI cable, but that problem probably does not affect you; in that
> case I would recommend VGA instead of DVI/HDMI to work around overscan
> issues.
>
> Apart from that, I am really happy (I think you refered to SD
> performance on an HD-capable screen, and in this aspect I would clearly
> recommend it.)
>
> Of course, all that depends very much on my personal perception, your's
> might be completely different. You could take a notebook to your dealer
> and connect it via VGA and judge yourself, maybe with a myth recording.
> Don't forget to install Powerstrip to enable the correct resolution, if
> the notebook runs with Windows.
>
> Cheers
>
>         Matthias
Thanks for replying,

What bitrate do you use?  Have you tried anything via S-Video like a
DVD player?  Since I am recording at DVD quality I would think a DVD
played via S-Video on a 32" LCD would be pretty close to what Mythtv
is putting out with the MediaMVP.  I think there is going to be a big
difference with a Mythtv PC frontend (DVI or VGA) and the MediaMVP via
S-Video.

Jeff