[mythtv-users] HDTV suggestions - Sharp Aquos?

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Wed Nov 22 17:09:26 UTC 2006

> Thanks for replying,
>
> What bitrate do you use?  Have you tried anything via S-Video like a
> DVD player?  Since I am recording at DVD quality I would think a DVD
> played via S-Video on a 32" LCD would be pretty close to what Mythtv
> is putting out with the MediaMVP.  I think there is going to be a big
> difference with a Mythtv PC frontend (DVI or VGA) and the MediaMVP via
> S-Video.
>
> Jeff

Well I am not using a self defined bitrate, I am receiving an
mpeg2-stream already. It seems that, depending on the station and the
program, they use different bandwidth for that (2006 soccer world cup on
german public TV was great, on spanish dvb-t rather poor. Well, spanish
dvb-t is in general not so good, bitrate-wise, to limit discussion to
technical issues here). So, what do I have... for example

Desperate Housewives, german private channel, 1h:20min, 2.8GB.(MPEG2
720x576  (aspect 2)  25.000 fps  15000.0 kbps (1875.0 kbyte/s)

Kommissar Beck, german public channel, 1h:48min, 6GB (MPEG2  720x576
(aspect 2)  25.000 fps  15000.0 kbps (1875.0 kbyte/s))

Vertical Limit, spanish public channel, 3h:43min, 8.7GB (MPEG2 720x576
(aspect 2)  25.000 fps  9000.0 kbps (1125.0 kbyte/s))

I have not tried s-video, from other posts on the list I would expect
inferior quality, it seems to be best to let myth do the scaling.

Cheers

	Matthias