[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Nov 22 17:16:11 UTC 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 2:48 AM, Ed Gatzke wrote:

>         ...which goes right out the window as soon as you start
> channel surfing. No PVR can solve that problem.
>

> MythTV could solve the problem, or at least limit the apparent
> impact of delay when surfing.
>
> Use three tuners at once, so the video stream for the +1 and -1
> channels are already being recorded, eliminating the buffering
> delay.  There would be a slight delay while you switch the player
> to a new video file, but that may be minimal compared to the
> buffering when changing to a new signal.

You win for coming up with the worst nightmare of a solution to a
delay in changing channels problem. So now I will need 6 tuners in my
box to watch Live TV instead of 2 (1 SD, 1 HD)? And each will thrash
my hard drive whenever I enter LiveTV mode recording 3 streams all
the time? And when something wants to take a tuner to record then the
problem isn't solved any more? Yikes. Talk about a big effort for
little (no?) gain.