[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 17:26:15 UTC 2006

> You win for coming up with the worst nightmare of a solution to a
> delay in changing channels problem. So now I will need 6 tuners in my
> box to watch Live TV instead of 2 (1 SD, 1 HD)? And each will thrash
> my hard drive whenever I enter LiveTV mode recording 3 streams all
> the time? And when something wants to take a tuner to record then the
> problem isn't solved any more? Yikes. Talk about a big effort for
> little (no?) gain.

Didn't say it would be pretty, or even reasonable.

The PVR 500 dual tuner cards are relatively cheap, and HD cards are getting
cheap as well.  You run out of PCI slots too quickly...

At least for SD, I think your hard drive could keep up with 3 streams
recording pretty easily.

If you have four SD tuners, why not use them for good if they are idle?   HD
may be a bit much...

Myth already works around conflicts for scheduling.  And this is not even a
conflict, as when you need a tuner to record something you just revert back
to single tuner mode.

And in reality, most people go up or down, so a dual tuner system would
suffice.  Think of it as intelligently using an idle tuner to buffer the
most probable next live tv requst, like HTML prefetch.