[mythtv-users] Gigabyte Nforc3 + x86_64 + PVR150 + FC6 no worky

John Schmitt schmitt.j at comcast.net
Thu Nov 23 01:15:24 UTC 2006

Thank you Axel, for being helpful, as always.

cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com wrote:
> > My feeling currently is that there's a bug in either the kernel or the
> > ivtv driver.

I thought the V4L people did the ivtv driver.  Thanks for the tip.

> you posted the same mail on mythtv/v4l/atrpms lists and missed the
> obvious expert list: ivtv-users.
>
> There has been a recent upgrade (0.8.1) and until now everyone seems
> very happy about it. Note that sice you mention you upgraded from FC4
> that there is a very big difference in ivtv land (whoch not som much
> in mythtv/atrpms land) where upstream maintains different tarballs per
> kernel release.
>
> You were either unlucky and got 0.8.0 ivtv in which had some issues
> (but the bright side is that you can upgrade to 0.8.1 and hope for
> them to dissapear), or that 0.8.0->0.8.1 broek something for you which
> you should report to upstream ivtv asap, please. In any case the
> better answers will come from the ivtv experts.

I just looked at the atrpms repository for FC4, it lists the 0.7.1 driver as
the most recent one.  So, I used yum to install the most recent FC6 i386 ivtv
driver, which was 0.8.1 and it behaved as bad as it did for x86_64.

Then, I checked out 0.7.1 from svn and installed it over the one that got
installed by yum from atrpms.  Same behaviour.   Bad tearing and flicker.  It
seems that the more activity on the screen, the more flicker and tearing.

I'll be happy to work with the ivtv people and try a new trunk build, if
that'll help.

John