[mythtv-users] Channels received over firewire

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Thu Nov 23 05:11:30 UTC 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 9:46 AM, nik gibson wrote:

> I've finally updated my channels listing and taken out the channels
> that don't come through over firewire.  Unfortunately most of the
> channels I want and pay for don't come through (TNT, ESPN, USA,
> Cartoon, HBO, etc...)

Charter Communications in Madison, WI only has the OTA HD channels
and channels 1-99 available through firewire. Everything else is 5C
encrypted although I've been lucky enough to get Cinemax HD for the
moment.  I expect that to change at some point. I realize that this
more than many others have reported being able to receive but much
less than Tom.

As it stands,  I think there are only two ways to record HD for
people in our situation other than OTA stations:

1) get a cable company DVR
2) DISH or Satellite receiver modified by third party to enable
firewire output.

The first option is undesirable and the second option is
significantly expensive and adds complexity.