[mythtv-users] Remote control of MythFrontend from another PC

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Nov 24 01:49:16 UTC 2006

Open Media Support wrote:
> What tools do people recommend for remote control of a mythtv frontend
> without using a remote control or keyboard/mouse.
>
> I have some customers with disabilities that mean a conventional keyboard
> or remote isn't suitable. If I had some sort of gui tool they could use on
> their PC or PDA they could get full funcionality out of their MythTV box.
>
> I've look at MythWIFI - http://studwww.ugent.be/~aveys/mythwifi/
>
> Looks ok, but the code base is on 0.18/0.19 and it crashes 0.20. I'll have
> a go at updating it as it does look quite good.
>
> The Mac tool at
> http://web.mac.com/grhowes/iWeb/Generally%20Helpful%20Software/Remote%20Remote%20GH.html
> looked very good. Anyone seed a Windows PC equivalent.
>
> Otherwise has anyone got tips on a solution for people with disabilities?
>
> Steve

There is a telnet interface to the frontend, and I *think* someone wrote
a web frontend to the frontend, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't be too
hard to whip something up, possibly with a PHP/Telnet API, or some
expect scripts. Some PDA's can use external IR senders that are more
powerful than the built-in ones used for peer to peer device
communication, and the software for these senders allows you to make
custom screens, so that may be another alternative, although a large
touchscreen with a browser interface would likely be easier for those
who either don't see as well, or don't have the motor control to operate
a smaller remote. I wouldn't mind helping out on this, if needed.

Tom