[mythtv-users] "Which channels can I receive over FireWire?"

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 25 06:57:15 UTC 2006

It's a question that I'm surprised doesn't come up here more often, as usually
not all channels are available that way.  Some cable companies say "frak the
FCC" and don't even make FireWire-equipped cable boxes available to their
customers.  Some lucky bastards have unusually-enlightened cable companies that
make everything (even HD movie channels) available unencrypted over FireWire.

Most of us, though, can only receive some channels through FireWire (the others
are either not available at all or use evil 5C encryption).  Here in Las Vegas,
I'm getting local HD channels and a subset of non-HD digital-cable and
basic-cable channels over FireWire.  Finding which channels are available ends
up being a matter of trial and error.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to start archiving this information on the
MythTV wiki.  I've created a page for Las Vegas:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Channels_receivable_by_FireWire_in_Las_Vegas%2C_NV

It's linked to the channel-list category:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Channel_Lists

If others did the same for their local cable systems, it'd put an end to quite
a bit of wheel reinvention.  Armed with this info, you can include only the
relevant channels in a Zap2it lineup.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter