[mythtv-users] Plextor PVR Device?

jdonohue654-mythtv at yahoo.com jdonohue654-mythtv at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 21:01:41 UTC 2006

>> Does anyone have the ConvertX PVR card from Plextor
> > working with
> >> IVTV/MythTV?  If so, how is the recording
quality?

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402U.htm

> > I'm using one. The linux driver are at
> > http://oss.wischip.com/.
> >
> > The picture quality is okay ... but definitely
lower
> > quality than my 350. It is comparable to my old
VHS
> > vcr.
>
> Were/are you using the default recording profile ?
The quality got
> significantly better when I increased the resolution
to DVD specs
> (720x480/NTSC) and fiddled with the other
parameters.

I took a second look at my settings after I got your
email, but they were already set to 720x480.

The plextor isn't bad, but there are definitely
noticable picture clarity/definition differences
versus my PVR350. (Shows recorded with the PVR350 are
very close to live SD tv quality.)

For me, the plextor is a handy 2nd recorder. I use it
to record programs where there isn't much camera
motion, and I don't care if I lose a bit of picture
definition (e.g., sitcoms, news programs). The
resulting files are much smaller.

I mostly use my PVR350 to record sports and shows with
a lot of on-screen motion, since I find the loss of
picture definition/detail with the plextor is a bit
too distracting.