[mythtv-users] Control TV via RS-232 (Serial)

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 12:38:52 UTC 2006

On 27/11/06, Daviey Walker <daviey.walker at virgin.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to control my TV via RS-232, however i am having some issues.
>
> The TV i am trying to control is an 'LG 32LC2D'.
> The manual provides guidance (http://www.jumble.hu/files/page7_blog_entry9_2.pdf Starting page 34)
>
> I am using a standard RS-232 cable with a female-female gender changer.  However, i am not getting any joy.
> I am getting absolutely no feedback or results.  Should i be using a NULL serial cable?

Well the schematic in the manual shows you the cable you should be
using if you're connecting to a PC. It looks like a null-modem cable
to me (eg with pins 2 and 3 crossed etc).

I presume you want to do things such as get mythtv to enable the
correct input when it start to playback a recording?

What are you using as a command interface.  If I were you I'd run a
terminal programme (I've only ever done this sort of thing under
windows, using hyperterminal or teraterm, but there must be linux
equivalents ) and see if you can manually enter the commands and get
the Acks coming back.  Then, if you get that working, try to automate
it in a script.