[mythtv-users] Some questions from beginner user of MythTV!

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 17:49:56 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> The front-end reads the data from the back-end's database and
> interprets it, depending on its use (Electronic Program Guide,
> recording lists, program searches, etc.). That's all done on the
> front-end. No knowledge of the system or its architecture is required
> to understand how to make the system function. The Back-end just
> records and manages data, the front-end handles all user interaction
> and playback.

Thanks very much for replies so far, great to see such interest and enthusiasm.

I'm still trying to get my head around this one.

Assuming my box in the lounge has a capture card with composite in
*and* digital terrestrial inputs, I could record digital TV and take
an input from the Sky box via the composite input and record that too?
Both at the same time? I guess the CPU would need to be up to the job.

Maybe the back end box in the attic only needs one digital TV input then.

So when it comes to scheduling recordings from the box in the lounge,
does Myth know if there is already a recording scheduled on BBC1 on
the tuner in the lounge to pass it to the tuner on the box in the
attic?

I think this is probably one of those situations where when I have
installed it and seen how it operates, it will all drop in to place!

thanks again,

Mike