[mythtv-users] Any poing in going from 3000+ to 3400+ Seperon

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:30:07 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dont want to have to change the motherboard because I would also
> probably have to get a new flower fan and possibly memory.

Flower fan?

You wouldn't need new memory if you went to a socket 939 board.

I just upgraded my main desktop from an Athlon 2000+ (socket A) to an
Athlon64 3500+ (socket 939) and the total cost for motherboard + cpu was on
the order of 90 GBP. The DDR 333 memory I already had works fine, so
whatever you've got in your socket 754 board will also be fine.

>   I thought
> the Athon64s were not being made any more (dabs.com in the UK don't
> sell them) but will look into this further.

You should still be able to find socket 754 Athlon64s, but the best you can
get is still only 3700+ (
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADA3700AEP5AR). I'm
not sure that's all that great an upgrade for you. Socket 939 would allow
you to go as far as an FX-60 or a X2 4800+ (not sure how much benefit dual
cores would be - you'd want to look into that).

Steve