[mythtv-users] Transferring database & recordings from one box to another

Azmat azmat.hussain at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:36:27 UTC 2006

So transferring the database from my old to my new box hasn't turned
out to be as straightforward as I previously thought.  First of all,
because the old database uses mysql server 3.23 and the new one uses
mysql 5.0, the database entries are different and required me to do
some tweaking.  I'm currently trying to simply copy a single database
entry from the old box to the new box and then copy over its files
(the .nuv and .nuv.png).  I've done that and now my show appears in
the recorded list on the new box.  However, when I attempt to play it
back, I get no picture (a blank screen) and the following error
appears in my terminal:

RingBuf(/video/recordings/): Invalid file (fd -1) when opening
'/video/recordings/'.
TV: Attempting to change from None to WatchingPreRecorded

Another thing I'd like to note is that this recorded show is still in
.nuv format.  I'm under the impression that .nuv is basically the same
as .mpg, however even when I rename it to .mpg, there is no change in
the result.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.