[mythtv-users] OT: Filesystems for recordings

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Nov 28 19:13:50 UTC 2006

Allan Wilson wrote:
> Since backups where brought up do most users backup their recordings
> and video. I am recording a lot of hidef and it takes up about 800GB
> right now. I haven't been backing it up because the space is so large
> and the recordings change pretty frequently. I took the approach that
> it is just TV and I could live without it in case of a crash. Are most
> people doing backups using something like rsync or do most people live
> dangerously without backups? Just trying to get a feel for what
> everyone else is doing.

I don't back up my Myth recordings.  Losing two weeks of recorded TV
just isn't that big a deal for me.  I do keep dumps of the system
partitions, though, so I can quickly reconstruct my setup without
reinstalling everything manually.  I update those when I make major
changes to the system.  Partition images would work, too, and be
slightly easier to restore, but I prefer dumps because I can restore
individual files if I need to.