[mythtv-users] OT: Filesystems for recordings

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 20:30:38 UTC 2006

On 11/28/06, Jan Vilhuber <jan at vilhuber.com> wrote:

> Like you say, it's just TV, not mission critical data. I personally
> don't back up the recorded programs, though I do backup the sql
> database periodically.
>
> jan
>
> On Nov 28, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Allan Wilson wrote:
>
> > Since backups where brought up do most users backup their
> > recordings and video. I am recording a lot of hidef and it takes up
> > about 800GB right now. I haven't been backing it up because the
> > space is so large and the recordings change pretty frequently. I
> > took the approach that it is just TV and I could live without it in
> > case of a crash. Are most people doing backups using something like
> > rsync or do most people live dangerously without backups? Just
> > trying to get a feel for what everyone else is doing.

Thanks Bruce, a very good point. I didn't know we where so close to being
able to use Storage Groups. Is there a write up on how this is going to be
used. From your post it looks like you can assign each recorder to a
different storage group, hopefully on a different drive, to get better
throughput but still see everything normally in the front end. What is the
best way to know when this gets pushed to the svn? Watch the ticket on that
feature? I am now very glad I posted this question.

Allan