[mythtv-users] H.264 Encoding - Need for a Command Line Tool for Analyzing Video Sources

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 20:49:05 UTC 2006

I'm working on a script that will be run as a user job post recordings
for archival purposes.  I'm particularly interested if anyone is aware
of a tool that will identify information about a recording such as video
size, Framerate, original bitrate, movie length, progressive or
interlaced, etc.. which I can output to a file.  I'd like to be able to
read this information in and make a decision how to encode the video
based on these parameters.  I plan on using x264 (mencoder) and the
profiles that Sharktooth has posted on doom9.org as a basis for encoding
the material. If I am successful, I plan on posting the script on the
Wiki for use by the community.

Thanks.

--Joel