[mythtv-users] OT: Filesystems for recordings

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Nov 28 21:26:38 UTC 2006

Allan Wilson wrote:
> Thanks Bruce, a very good point. I didn't know we where so close to
> being able to use Storage Groups.

Yes. Chris Pinkham is finishing this up and I may be speaking
out of turn by mentioning this but I wanted to give you a
heads up to not go about it the wrong way a couple days too
soon. A couple of are testing it right now and it works well
enough that I'm running it on my production systems, as is
Chris, as well as on some test environments. I'm now trying
to do stupid things to try to break it.

> Is there a write up on how this is going to be used.

Chris does have info for testing and a commit message in
progress but I'll leave to him if he wants to give that
out at some point.

> going to be used. From your post it looks like you can assign each
> recorder to a different storage group, hopefully on a different drive,

Better than that. You only have to have one "Default" group.
Each group is a list of directories that can be used for writing
and reading files. The system even detects if two paths are on
the same disk. Recorders are not associated with one disk. If
there are two cards and two disks, the first recorder uses
the 'best' disk, usually the one with the most free space.
If a second recording starts, it uses the next best disk and
so on.

> to get better throughput but still see everything normally in the front
> end. What is the best way to know when this gets pushed to the svn?

Watch the commits list.

--  bjm